Subject: bug#17575: closed (Re: 24.3.91; utf-8 coding system for etc/NEWS)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 24 May 2014 22:38:04 +0000

Your bug report

#17575: 24.3.91; utf-8 coding system for etc/NEWS

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
17575: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=17575
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: 24.3.91; utf-8 coding system for etc/NEWS
From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
To: "Roland Winkler" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 24 May 2014 15:37:16 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Thanks, I fixed that in emacs-24 bzr 117150, along with four other 
instances of the same problem that I found, and am marking this bug as done.

I didn't adjust files taken from Gnulib, though, as it's not worth the 
hassle of maintaining a separate version of these files just for this 
reason.  (The Gnulib folks switched to UTF-8 source code long ago and 
aren't looking back.)  So you'll still see a problem with reading 
Andreas Grünbacher's name in the comments in lib/qcopy-acl.c, 
lib/acl-internal.h, and lib/file-has-acl.c.

Also, there are two tiny ASCII-only files (doc/misc/gnus-overrides.texi, 
nextstep/Cocoa/Emacs.base/Contents/PkgInfo) which Emacs in a Latin-9 
locale for some reason decides should be iso-latin-9 rather than utf-8. 
  I dunno why that would be, but I assume you won't be editing those 
files so it should be OK.

Subject: 24.3.91; utf-8 coding system for etc/NEWS
From: "Roland Winkler" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 22:24:06 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

etc/NEWS contains the line

** The syntax of ?» and ?« is now punctuation instead of matched parens.

Yet for me, emacs -Q uses the wrong coding system, so that I get

** The syntax of ?Â» and ?Â« is now punctuation instead of matched parens.

It seems that etc/NEWS should use a file-local variable to specify
its coding system.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.91.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.4.2)
 of 2014-05-12 on regnitz
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11103000
System Description:	Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LANG: en_US.ISO-8859-15
  locale-coding-system: iso-latin-9-unix

Major mode: Outline