Subject: bug#17572: 24.3; Directory regexp compile.el

From: Jannis Teunissen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2014 00:49:03 +0200

When compiling code from emacs (compile command calling make), it would
ask me to locate the source files with errors manually. E.g.,

Find this error in (default my_file.f90): ...

This happened when the file was in a different directory than I was
currently in. Same problem when running emacs -q --no-site-file

The problem seemed to be the compilation-directory-matcher variable. By
default, it is:
'("\\(?:Entering\\|Leavin\\(g\\)\\) directory `\\(.+\\)'$" (2 . 1))

However, my directory-change messages have the following form:
make[1]: Entering directory '/.../dir'

Note the ' instead of `. If I set compilation-directory-matcher to:
'("\\(?:Entering\\|Leavin\\(g\\)\\) directory [`']\\(.+\\)'$" (2 . 1)))
then everything works fine again.

gcc version 4.8.2
make version 4.0
emacs version 24.3.1
Debian jessie

Cheers, Jannis

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/usr/share/emacs/24.3/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.12.1)
 of 2014-05-06 on trouble, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux testing (jessie)

Configured using:
 `configure '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu'
 '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib'
 '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--infodir=/usr/share/info'
 '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes'
 '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp'
 '--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu' '--with-x=yes'
 '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars'
 'build_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall'
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro' 'CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: F90

Minor modes in effect:
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-track-minor-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  org-indent-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: 1
  delete-selection-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  global-auto-complete-mode: t
  auto-complete-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  sublimity-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  global-smartscan-mode: t
  smartscan-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  global-visual-line-mode: t
  visual-line-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-q M-q M-q M-q M-q M-q M-q M-q M-q M-q M-q M-q M-q
M-q M-q M-q M-q C-q C-h . M-q M-q M-q M-q M-q i f SPC
y o u SPC d o n ' t SPC m i n d , SPC C-e RET e h m
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> y <backspace> h
m m SPC y M-h M-h o <backspace> i ' m SPC n o t SPC
s u r e SPC w e <backspace> h e t h e r SPC i t ' s
SPC a SPC b u g , SPC b u t SPC s e e m e d SPC l i
k e d SPC i t M-h M-h M-h M-h M-h M-h M-h M-h M-h M-h
M-h o k a y SPC t h a n k s , SPC b u g SPC r e p o
r t SPC s e e m s SPC t o SPC m a k e SPC s e n s e
<return> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-2> M-x C-g <tab> M-x
b u g - r e p o C-h C-h C-h C-h C-h C-h C-h C-h M-x
r e p o r t - e m a RET R e g e x p SPC M-h D i r e
c t o r y SPC r e g e x p SPC c o m p i l e . e l RET
C-M-g y C-x b C-g <f9> RET y n C-x C-x b b e e r r
C-h C-h C-h C-h i i r r RET / / j o i n SPC # e m a
c s RET C-c SPC C-c SPC C-x b C-s p a r t C-s RET <C-f6>
RET M-o M-x RET

Recent messages:
Buffer "irc.freenode.net:6667" has a running process; kill it? (y or n)  n
Wrote /home/jannis/.emacs.d/nameses-sessions/part_core/.emacs.desktop.lock
Desktop: 1 buffer restored, 19 to restore lazily.
uncompressing compile.el.gz...done
Note: file is write protected
uncompressing simple.el.gz...done
Note: file is write protected
Lazy desktop load complete
(No files need saving)
Compilation exited abnormally with code 2

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp/debian-startup hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/cmake-data/cmake-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/cmake-mode

Features:
(shadow flyspell ispell emacsbug erc-truncate erc-speedbar erc-sound
erc-services erc-replace erc-page erc-notify erc-desktop-notifications
notifications erc-log erc-identd erc-ibuffer ibuf-ext ibuffer
erc-ezbounce erc-dcc erc-capab erc-autoaway network-stream starttls tls
erc-menu erc-join erc-ring erc-networks erc-pcomplete erc-track
erc-match erc-button erc-fill erc-stamp erc-netsplit erc-goodies erc
erc-backend erc-compat smex mule-util debug hippie-exp thingatpt
misearch multi-isearch compile f90 cus-edit cus-start cus-load vc-git
make-mode org-indent pp server paren delsel tramp tramp-compat
tramp-loaddefs shell auto-complete-auctex latex tex-style tex dbus xml
doc-view-extension mu4e mu4e-speedbar speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe
mu4e-main mu4e-view epa derived epg epg-config browse-url mu4e-headers
mu4e-compose mu4e-draft mu4e-actions rfc2368 smtpmail auth-source eieio
gnus-util password-cache sendmail mu4e-mark mu4e-message html2text
mu4e-proc mu4e-utils doc-view jka-compr image-mode dired mu4e-lists
mu4e-about mu4e-vars message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader hl-line mu4e-meta
auto-complete-config auto-complete popup yasnippet help-mode color-theme
wid-edit sublimity-scroll sublimity ace-jump-mode-autoloads
auctex-autoloads tex-site auto-complete-autoloads
color-theme-solarized-autoloads color-theme-autoloads magit-autoloads
info git-rebase-mode-autoloads git-commit-mode-autoloads popup-autoloads
popwin-autoloads smex-autoloads finder-inf sublimity-autoloads
yasnippet-autoloads package point-undo ido buffer-move smartscan nameses
desktop uniquify cl-macs gv misc-cmds cl winner windmove org byte-opt
warnings bytecomp byte-compile cconv advice help-fns cl-lib
advice-preload ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table org-footnote org-src
ob-comint ob-keys org-pcomplete pcomplete comint ansi-color ring
org-list org-faces org-entities time-date noutline outline easy-mmode
org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob org-compat org-macs ob-eval org-loaddefs
format-spec find-func cal-menu easymenu calendar cal-loaddefs edmacro
kmacro tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)