Subject: Re: bug#17562: 24.4.50; REGRESSION: mouse double-click on `(` does not select whole Lisp sexp

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 18:54:09 -0400

> Visit dired.el. Double-click on the opening paren of
> (defun dired-get-filename ...
> Only part of the defun is selected.

Hmm... I can't reproduce it here (using "emacs -Q"):
- after opening dired.el I first have to search for "defun dired-get-filename"
  because it's not immediately visible.
- once it's in sight, if I double-click on it, the whole expression is
  selected&highlighted, point is moved to right after the matching close
  paren, and as a consequence the window is redrawn to show the end of
  the expression (since the beginning is now outside of the window).

I never use this feature, but I see the exact same behavior in
Emacs-24.3, so I assume it's the way it's always worked.

Can you reproduce the problem with "emacs -Q"?

> It seems to have been introduced by this commit:
> 44812aa45a823e344811f4f38966c3e5c9b5118f
> Author: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> Date:   Sun May 11 01:49:14 2014 -0400
>     * lisp/mouse.el: Use the normal toplevel loop while dragging.

Yes, it clearly the likely culprit.

        Stefan