Subject: bug#1756: awk-mode: An empty line is not a paragraph separator (should be)

From: Teemu Likonen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2009 10:27:17 +0200

In awk-mode an empty line is not considered a paragraph separator, only
lines containing whitespace and "#" character(s) are. After running the
command "M-x awk-mode" the value of both paragraph-start and
paragraph-separate are set as follows:

    "[ \t]*\\(#+\\)[ \t]*$\\|^\f"
              ^^

See, at least one # is required. I think better default would be #* so
that empty lines or lines with only whitespace would be paragraph
separators too. I suggest doing the following change:

diff --git i/lisp/progmodes/cc-vars.el w/lisp/progmodes/cc-vars.el
index 18f314c..62c85f0 100644
--- i/lisp/progmodes/cc-vars.el
+++ w/lisp/progmodes/cc-vars.el
@@ -483,7 +483,7 @@ style comments."
 
 (defcustom-c-stylevar c-comment-prefix-regexp
   '((pike-mode . "//+!?\\|\\**")
-    (awk-mode . "#+")
+    (awk-mode . "#*")
     (other . "//+\\|\\**"))
   "*Regexp to match the line prefix inside comments.
 This regexp is used to recognize the fill prefix inside comments for

(pike-mode and "other" have a comment prefix regexp which matches a zero
number of comment prefix characters: \**)

There is another and related bug. It is possible to configure the
comment prefix regexp with the option c-comment-prefix-regexp. But the
problem is that the option only takes effect when awk-mode is turned on.
If user later changes indentation style with the command c-set-style
(bound to C-c .) then it seems that the hard-coded default (#+) takes
preference over user's c-comment-prefix-regexp settings.