Subject: Re: bug#17558: 24.4.50; global-subword-mode breaks ERC

From: Daniel Colascione <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 15:31:03 -0700

On 04/27/2015 01:03 PM, Glenn Morris wrote:
> Stefan Monnier wrote:
> 
>> Indeed, with the new implementation of subword-mode, most of the
>> word-operating commands should be marked as "interactive use only",
>> since their behavior is too unreliable for use in Lisp code.
> 
> Sounds to me like it will be a PITA to review/replace every
> non-interactive usage of those commands.
> 
> Are people certain they want to go down this road?

I am. It's the only way we can make sure that interactive commands that
move by words *indirectly* do the right thing in the presence of user
customizations.

> (At time of writing, I don't see any mention of forward-word etc no
> longer being safe in NEWS.)

ERC is the only component I've heard of breaking. I don't think
forward-word has *ever* been "safe" in the sense that you're suggesting.
Modes almost always *actually* want sexp movement.