Subject: bug#17557: grep-2.19 released [stable]

From: Jim Meyering <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 22:36:17 -0700

This is to announce grep-2.19, a stable release.
While there is only one NEWS item below that mentions performance,
GNU grep has never before seen so many performance improvements in
a single release. Special thanks to Norihiro Tanaka and Paul Eggert
for all of that work, as well as for numerous bug fixes.

There have been 152 commits by 4 people in the 13 weeks since 2.18.

See the NEWS below for a brief summary.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed!
The following people contributed changes to this release:

  Jim Meyering (22)
  Norihiro Tanaka (35)
  Paul Eggert (93)
  Stephane Chazelas (2)

Jim [on behalf of the grep maintainers]
==================================================================

Here is the GNU grep home page:
    http://gnu.org/s/grep/

For a summary of changes and contributors, see:
  http://git.sv.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=grep.git;a=shortlog;h=v2.19
or run this command from a git-cloned grep directory:
  git shortlog v2.18..v2.19

To summarize the 49 gnulib-related changes, run these commands
from a git-cloned grep directory:
  git checkout v2.19
  git submodule summary v2.18

==================================================================
Here are the compressed sources and a GPG detached signature[*]:
  http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/grep/grep-2.19.tar.xz
  http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/grep/grep-2.19.tar.xz.sig

Use a mirror for higher download bandwidth:
  http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/grep/grep-2.19.tar.xz
  http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/grep/grep-2.19.tar.xz.sig

[*] Use a .sig file to verify that the corresponding file (without the
.sig suffix) is intact.  First, be sure to download both the .sig file
and the corresponding tarball.  Then, run a command like this:

  gpg --verify grep-2.19.tar.xz.sig

If that command fails because you don't have the required public key,
then run this command to import it:

  gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-keys 7FD9FCCB000BEEEE

and rerun the 'gpg --verify' command.

This release was bootstrapped with the following tools:
  Autoconf 2.69.117-1717
  Automake 1.99a
  Gnulib v0.1-125-gc2e80b7

==================================================================
NEWS

* Noteworthy changes in release 2.19 (2014-05-22) [stable]

** Improvements

  Performance has improved, typically by 10% and in some cases by a
  factor of 200.  However, performance of grep -P in UTF-8 locales has
  gotten worse as part of the fix for the crashes mentioned below.

** Bug fixes

  grep no longer mishandles patterns like [a-[.z.]], and no longer
  mishandles patterns like [^a] in locales that have multicharacter
  collating sequences so that [^a] can match a string of two characters.

  grep no longer mishandles an empty pattern at the end of a pattern list.
  [bug introduced in grep-2.5]

  grep -C NUM now outputs separators consistently even when NUM is zero,
  and similarly for grep -A NUM and grep -B NUM.
  [bug present since "the beginning"]

  grep -f no longer mishandles patterns containing NUL bytes.
  [bug introduced in grep-2.11]

  Plain grep, grep -E, and grep -F now treat encoding errors in patterns
  the same way the GNU regular expression matcher treats them, with respect
  to whether the errors can match parts of multibyte characters in data.
  [bug present since "the beginning"]

  grep -w no longer mishandles a potential match adjacent to a letter that
  takes up two or more bytes in a multibyte encoding.
  Similarly, the patterns '\<', '\>', '\b', and '\B' no longer
  mishandle word-boundary matches in multibyte locales.
  [bug present since "the beginning"]

  grep -P now reports an error and exits when given invalid UTF-8 data.
  Previously it was unreliable, and sometimes crashed or looped.
  [bug introduced in grep-2.16]

  grep -P now works with -w and -x and backreferences. Before,
  echo aa|grep -Pw '(.)\1' would fail to match, yet
  echo aa|grep -Pw '(.)\2' would match.

  grep -Pw now works like grep -w in that the matched string has to be
  preceded and followed by non-word components or the beginning and end
  of the line (as opposed to word boundaries before).  Before, this
  echo a@@a| grep -Pw @@ would match, yet this
  echo a@@a| grep -w @@ would not.  Now, they both fail to match,
  per the documentation on how grep's -w works.

  grep -i no longer mishandles patterns containing titlecase characters.
  For example, in a locale containing the titlecase character
  'ǈ' (U+01C8 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER L WITH SMALL LETTER J),
  'grep -i ǈ' now matches both 'Ǉ' (U+01C7 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER LJ)
  and 'ǉ' (U+01C9 LATIN SMALL LETTER LJ).

==================================================================
also posted as:
  https://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=7988