Subject: bug#17554: 24.3.91; [Regression] re-usage of dired *Marked Files* buffer window

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 09:24:23 +0200

> Emacs 24.3 does not give me this problem (I just double-checked):

IIUC we now use `display-buffer' for displaying the list of marked files
and completions and both seem to backfire in the present case.

 > First it gives me the *Marked Files* window by splitting the main
 > window (only two lines high if I want to move only two files,
 > whereas 24.3.91 makes it three lines high).

A regression.  It happens because `display-buffer-pop-up-window' obeys
`window-min-height' which is 4, by default.  Subtracting one for the
mode-line gives three lines.  If you mark at least three files you won't
see it.  We could add a `window-height' alist entry to fix this.  Juri -
any ideas where?  My knowledge of `dired' is about zero so I don't want
to add any such switch without some advice.

 > Then it splits once more the main window for the *Completions*
 > buffer.  So I get a *Completions* window which is typically large
 > enough to display the complete *Completions* buffer.

Which is much better indeed.  You can customize `split-height-threshold'
to get three windows again - the *Completions* buffer then appears at the
bottom when the question is asked.  But the default would really look
better with three windows.  Juri - any ideas?

martin