Subject: bug with cua-mode

From: Matt Hendryx <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 11:25:25 -0400

From: mhendryx 
<[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: 24.3; cua-mode
--text follows this line--
This bug report will be sent to the Bug-GNU-Emacs mailing list
and the GNU bug tracker at debbugs.gnu.org.  Please check that
the From: line contains a valid email address.  After a delay of up
to one day, you should receive an acknowledgment at that address.

Please write in English if possible, as the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators for other languages.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug, and
the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give a recipe
starting from `emacs -Q':

Using emacs 24.3
1) M-x cua-mode
2) Highlighted text, then C-x
3) Moved pointer and attempted C-v and C-y
    Received message Symbol's function is void: x-selection-text in both 
instances
4) Went to menu bar.  Paste didn't work, BUT paste from kill did.
5) Downloaded cua-base.el
6) byte-compile-file cua-base.el
7) load-file cua-base.elc
    same results
8) Uninstalled and reinstalled emacs
    same results

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
     `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/usr/share/emacs/24.3/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.7)
  of 2014-03-07 on lamiak, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
System Description:    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Configured using:
  `configure '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu'
  '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib'
  '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--infodir=/usr/share/info'
  '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes'
  '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp'
  '--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu' '--with-x=yes'
  '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars'
  'build_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector
  --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall'
  'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro'
  'CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2''

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
   default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Org

Minor modes in effect:
   cua-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   size-indication-mode: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   visual-line-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> <S-right> <S-right> <S-right> <S-right>
<S-right> <S-right> <S-right> C-x <timeout> C-v C-x
C-f a a w <tab> d <tab> W <tab> e <tab> / W A . a f
<tab> v <tab> <return> M-x v i s u <tab> <return> <C-home>
<down> <tab> <tab> <down> <down> <down> <down> <tab>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <tab>
<down> <down> <down> <S-right> <S-right> <S-right>
<S-right> <S-right> <S-right> <S-right> <S-right> C-x
<timeout> C-v M-x m e n u - b <tab> m <tab> <return>
M-x <up> <return> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> <mouse-1>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <edit> <paste-from-menu>
#("give his" 0 8 (fontified t)) <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> <mouse-1>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <edit> <paste-from-menu>
#("give his" 0 8 (fontified t)) M-x r e <tab> p <tab>
r <backspace> o r <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
CHILDREN [2 times]
SUBTREE (NO CHILDREN)
Mark set
current-kill: Symbol's function definition is void: x-selection-text
Menu-Bar mode disabled
Menu-bar mode disabled.  Use M-x menu-bar-mode to make the menu bar appear.
Menu-Bar mode enabled
Mark set [2 times]
Auto-saving...
Making completion list... [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp/debian-startup hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils tabify
vc-bzr org-wl org-w3m org-vm org-rmail org-mhe org-mew org-irc
org-jsinfo org-infojs org-html org-exp ob-exp org-exp-blocks org-agenda
org-info org-gnus gnus-util org-docview org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org
byte-opt warnings bytecomp byte-compile cconv ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table org-footnote org-src ob-comint ob-keys org-pcomplete pcomplete
comint ansi-color ring org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline
org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob org-compat org-macs ob-eval org-loaddefs
format-spec find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs help-mode
smart-quotes easy-mmode info easymenu edmacro kmacro saveplace uniquify
advice help-fns cl-lib advice-preload cua-base cus-start cus-load
time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)