Subject: Removing dead servers from the server list

From: Lynbech Christian <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 12:25:03 +0200

Following a thread on the mailing list, I wanted to try to access a
mentioned free NNTP server (nntp.aioe.org). I went to the server buffer
(typing ?^ in the GNUS summary), added the server (typing ?a) and
entered the new server to see if it worked, which it didn't, there was
not connection and the server ended up as "denied".

Fair enough, I exited the server buffer (typing ?q) and then entered it
again (with ?^).

Now I wanted to get rid of the dead entry, so I typed ?k
(gnus-server-kill-server) but got an error that the server is read-only, a
stack trace is given below.

Why can't I delete the server the usual way and what can be done to get
rid of the entry (other than editing .newsrc-eld and other files)?

    Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Read-only server nntp:nntp.aioe.org")
      signal(error ("Read-only server nntp:nntp.aioe.org"))
      error("Read-only server %s" "nntp:nntp.aioe.org")
      gnus-server-kill-server("nntp:nntp.aioe.org")
      call-interactively(gnus-server-kill-server nil nil)
      command-execute(gnus-server-kill-server)

Ma Gnus v0.12
GNU Emacs 24.4.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2014-05-05 on ul001115