Subject: bug#17548: new snapshot available: grep-2.18.151-1c770

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 01:13:52 -0700

Jim Meyering wrote:

>    http://meyering.net/grep/grep-2.18.151-1c770.tar.xz

I've built and run "make check" on that snapshot, on the following 
platforms, and found only minor glitches.  All tests passed or skipped 
or were expected to fail, with two exceptions: test-fcntl-safer and 
test-openat-safer failed on Fedora 20 with clang 3.4 x86-64.  These 
aren't grep tests proper and clang is a secondary compiler on that 
platform, so I didn't investigate it further.

AIX 7.1 POWER 32-bit (gcc 4.8.1)
Fedora 20 (both gcc 4.9.0 and clang 3.4, and both x86 and x86-64)
IRIX 6.5 MIPS 32-bit (gcc 3.4.6, as IRIX cc can't handle C99)
Solaris 10 sparc 32-bit (Sun C 5.12)
Solaris 11.1 x86-64 (Sun C 5.12)
Ubuntu 14.04 x86-64 (gcc 4.8.2)

Here are more details if you're interested:

On AIX, 'open' isn't declared in openat_proc_name.  This is a gnulib 
issue, which I've worked around in 
<http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=gnulib.git;a=commit;h=f345edc03da1a81f313dd70305764025bffeb1fa>; 
I doubt whether it's serious here.

The IRIX build has the following warnings when linking 'grep'.

ld32: WARNING 84 : ../lib/libgreputils.a is not used for resolving any 
symbol.
ld32: WARNING 127: Two shared objects with the same soname, 
/usr/lib32/mips3/libc.so and /usr/lib32/libc.so, have been been linked. 
This is probably due to a missing -L specification. Ignoring the latter.

and there are similar diagnostics when linking the gnulib-test programs. 
  The gnulib-test harness took too long (and I was running late) so I 
quit before it had a chance to finish building.

On Ubuntu 14.04, if I configure with --enable-gcc-warnings, compilation 
fails as follows.  I expect this failure is spurious:

In file included from mbsstr.c:32:0:
str-kmp.h: In function 'knuth_morris_pratt':
str-kmp.h:35:1: error: stack protector not protecting local variables: 
variable length buffer [-Werror=stack-protector]
  knuth_morris_pratt (const UNIT *haystack,
  ^
mbsstr.c: In function 'knuth_morris_pratt_multibyte':
mbsstr.c:40:1: error: stack protector not protecting local variables: 
variable length buffer [-Werror=stack-protector]
  knuth_morris_pratt_multibyte (const char *haystack, const char *needle,
  ^