Subject: bug#17541: closed (Re: bug#17541: 24.3; wdired do not allow to edit first char in filenames)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 14:14:02 +0000

Your bug report

#17541: 24.3; wdired do not allow to edit first char in filenames

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
17541: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=17541
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#17541: 24.3; wdired do not allow to edit first char in filenames
From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
To: JuanLeon Lahoz <[email-masked]>
Cc: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 10:13:20 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> So I am left with same configuration than yesterday and no problem!  Good;
> I suppose.

It's called the placebo effect!

        Stefan

Subject: 24.3; wdired do not allow to edit first char in filenames
From: JuanLeon Lahoz <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 15:45:22 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

When I enter into wdired-mode I can edit every char in the file names but
the first.

For instance, workaround or renaming "foo" to "afoo" is to insert "af"
after "f" and then delete first "f" with backspace.

Patch below to file to wdired.el fixes the issue for me.

Regards
juanleon

*** wdired.el   2014-05-21 15:39:09.367026680 +0200
--- wdired.el.ori       2014-05-21 15:39:00.183026259 +0200
*************** or \\[wdired-abort-changes] to abort cha
*** 289,295 ****
          ;; the filename can't be modified.
          (add-text-properties
           (1- (point)) (point) `(old-name ,filename rear-nonsticky
(read-only)))
!         (put-text-property b-protection (1- (point)) 'read-only t)
          (setq b-protection (dired-move-to-end-of-filename t))
          (put-text-property (point) (1+ (point)) 'end-name t))
          (forward-line))
--- 289,295 ----
          ;; the filename can't be modified.
          (add-text-properties
           (1- (point)) (point) `(old-name ,filename rear-nonsticky
(read-only)))
!         (put-text-property b-protection (point) 'read-only t)
          (setq b-protection (dired-move-to-end-of-filename t))
          (put-text-property (point) (1+ (point)) 'end-name t))
          (forward-line))