Subject: bug#1754: 23.0.60; tool-bar is shown with tool-bar-mode off

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 17:14:15 -0800

> > Absolutely not. The mode should affect all existing and 
> > future frames. That's always been the case, and it is how other,
> > similar modes, such as `menu-bar-mode', work.
> >   
> 
> If that was the case, you would not be able to have minibuffer, ediff 
> and speedbar frames without menu or toolbar if you were 
> displaying those in other frames.

Of course you would. I do that myself. You do that by changing the frame
parameter for the given frame, not by using the global mode function
`menu-bar-mode' or `tool-bar-mode'. There is nothing new here - this is the way
it has always worked.

> > It has never been the case that some frame alist overrides 
> > the current mode value.
> 
> It always has been the case for me.

No, it has not. Try Emacs 22 (or 21 or 20). `M-x tool-bar-mode' and `M-x
menu-bar-mode' affect all existing and future frames. That doesn't mean you
can't tweak an individual frame, by changing its parameters. But those are
global commands. Always have been.