Subject: bug#1754: 23.0.60; tool-bar is shown with tool-bar-mode off

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 13:29:08 -0500

>> I'm not sure I understand the question.  It doesn't add the setting to
>> window-system-default-frame-alist, does it?  So all it does is remove
>> any overriding setting from it, just like it does with
>> initial-frame-alist, which is necessary for the default-frame-alist
>> setting to be effective.

> I'm not sure whether toggling tool-/menu-bar-mode should override
> window-system specific settings.  When we set tool-bar-lines in
> default-frame-alist we don't override window-system specific settings.
> Is toggling tool-/menu-bar-mode conceptually "stronger" than setting
> default-frame-alist WRT to future frames?  What's the purpose of setting
> `window-system-default-frame-alist' in .emacs when a simple click on a
> menu entry will annihilate its effect for the rest of the session?  Such
> clicks are not window-system specific.

That's a more general problem: I usually don't have a menu-bar in my
frames, except for a few exception where I give them a menu-bar via
special-display-buffer-names.
Whenever I use M-x menu-bar-mode, these details are lost.

The problem is that tool-bar-mode, and menu-bar-mode and too coarse:
they offer no way for the user to say whether he wants it to apply to
every single frame, or only to those currently displayed, or only the
current one, or only those on the current terminal, ...

Also, making them work right would probably require keeping track for
each and ever frame of where its parameters came from.  So tool-bar-mode
could just set default-frame-alist and then "refresh" every
frame's parameters.

        Stefan