Subject: Re: bug#1754: 23.0.60; tool-bar is shown with tool-bar-mode off

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 17:20:49 -0500

>>> If you mean that `modify-all-frames-parameters' should not change
>>> `initial-frame-alist' because the "right" value will be eventually found
>>> when scanning `default-frame-alist', you're maybe right.
>> 
>> Yes, I think that's what I mean.
>> 
>>> OTOH a user may have set `initial-frame-alist' to contain
>>> a tool-bar-lines entry and wants to explicitly turn off
>>> `tool-bar-mode' for the initial frame.  Consider Drew's example with
>>> "initial" replacing "default".
>> 
>> But modify-all-frames-parameters beings by removing any such setting in
>> initial-frame-alist anyway, so it seems this case still doesn't justify
>> adding the setting to initial-frame-alist.

> On the one hand you mean that `modify-all-frames-parameters' should not
> change `initial-frame-alist' on the other you mean it should remove such
> setting in `initial-frame-alist' anyway?  You leave me confused.

No, I only said that it shouldn't *set* the value in
initial-frame-alist.  Of course, it needs to remove any previous setting
in order for the setting in default-frame-alist not to be overridden.

        Stefan