Subject: RE: bug#1754: 23.0.60; tool-bar is shown with tool-bar-mode off

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 17:14:16 -0800

> > The "pop-up" in each of the names `pop-up-frames' and 
> > `pop-up-frames-alist' means very different things.
> 
> It seems you are asking us to change Emacs to match your confusion at 
> the expense of other users'.

Not at all. 

Read the description of `pop-up-frame-alist'. It talks about special "pop-up"
frames, and it gives examples of them. It is the analog of
`special-display-frame-alist'. Both "supercede the values given in
`default-frame-alist'.

Read the description of `pop-up-frames'. It is completely general and refers to
all frames. It is the analog of `pop-up-windows'. 

There is nothing new in this. Look at the C code for `display-buffer' in Emacs
22 (or 21 or 20). It does not refer to `pop-up-frame-alist' at all. It uses
`pop-up-frames' the same way it uses `pop-up-windows': to know whether to use a
separate frame (or window, in the latter case).

`pop-up-windows':
"Non-nil means `display-buffer' should make a new window."

`pop-up-frames':
"Whether `display-buffer' should make a separate frame."

Those have nothing to do with superceding the values in `default-frame-alist'.

I'm afraid you don't know what you're talking about on this question. Sad to
say, the person who translated `display-buffer' from C to Lisp might have been
in the same boat.