Subject: Re: bug#17526: 24.3.90; Crash in Cygwin-w32 build

From: Ken Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 17:45:41 -0400

On 5/19/2014 5:00 PM, Daniel Colascione wrote:
> On 05/19/2014 12:39 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>> Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 15:19:24 -0400
>>> From: Ken Brown <[email-masked]>
>>> CC: [email-masked]
>>>
>>> On 5/19/2014 11:18 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>>>> Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 08:30:49 -0400
>>>>> From: Ken Brown <[email-masked]>
>>>>>
>>>>> I just got a crash with the following backtrace:
>
> There goes my BLODA theory (assuming you don't have any). These crashes
> (including the indirect-variable one) are all seemingly impossible, but
> if there were generalized random memory corruption, I'd expect to see
> more severe effects. I have no idea what's wrong. Both trunk and
> emacs-24 seem to be affected: did something change in the Cygwin DLL side?

Not that I know of.  By the way, all these crashes that are being 
reported are in 64-bit Cygwin, FWIW.  So it may very well be a Cygwin 
problem rather than an emacs problem.

Do you have a 64-bit Cygwin installation on which you could try to 
reproduce this?  The crashes are seemingly random.  I've occasionally 
gotten a crash a few seconds after starting emacs, but other times I've 
run emacs for days without a problem.  So you might have to wait a long 
time.  Also, I don't always get a chance to attach gdb.  In other words, 
emacs just dies with a SEGV, but apparently without calling emacs_abort.

Ken