Subject: Re: bug#17517: Eager macro-expansion failure: (error "Lisp nesting exceeds `max-lisp-eval-depth'")

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 10:09:08 -0400

> I just bootstrapped (or in fact, build at all)

Not sure what this means.  Is this a "make bootstrap", or is it
something close yet different?

> Wrote c:/Devel/emacs/repo/trunk/lisp/calendar/cal-loaddefs.el
> Eager macro-expansion failure: (error "Lisp nesting exceeds
> `max-lisp-eval-depth'")

Of course, these may be due to simple "infinite recursion" problems
fixed by bootstrapping.  But they may also be due to "deep recursion",
in which case increasing max-lisp-eval-depth might help (IIRC I had to
bump this limit when I introduced eager macro-expansion, so it wouldn't
be a big surprise if it needs to be bumped yet a bit higher).

The eager macroexpansion can cause fairly deep recursion, especially
if/when some of the code (e.g. macroexp.el) is not yet byte-compiled.
It shouldn't be deeper than the macroexpansion done by the byte-compiler
(it's basically the exact same macroexpansion in both cases), but
because it happens earlier it's suffers more often of things like
"macroexp.el is not yet byte-compiled".

These macroexpansion failures should only be warnings, so do
they prevent building Emacs?

If you can reproduce them, can you try to bump max-lisp-eval-depth a bit
higher to see if it solves the problem?

        Stefan