Subject: Re: bug#17501: ARM cast-align Error

From: Nathan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 21:25:16 -0500

Oh bugger, I should have added that I'm cross-compiling from amd64 to ARM.
I think that is important and probably would help clear things up.

And so for more completeness:
Build machine:
  config.log
    $ ./configure --prefix=/arm-linux-gnueabihf
--build=x86_64-cross-linux-gnu --host=arm-linux-gnueabihf
--without-included-regex --quiet CFLAGS=-O3 -pipe -mfpu=neon
-mtune=cortex-a9 -march=armv7-a -mfloat-abi=hard CXXFLAGS=-O3 -pipe
-mfpu=neon -mtune=cortex-a9 -march=armv7-a -mfloat-abi=hard
LDFLAGS=-L/arm-linux-gnueabihf/lib -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/arm-linux-gnueabihf/lib
CPPFLAGS=-I/arm-linux-gnueabihf/include

What I ended up doing was just sed-ing configure to wipe out Wcast-align.

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 9:19 PM, Paul Eggert <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Unless you're on a weird machine (e.g., not byte addressible), I wouldn't
> worry about that.  I'd worry more about why 'configure' decided that memchr
> doesn't work on your machine.  What's up with that?  What does config.log
> say?
>
> I suggest running 'configure' without using the '--enable-gcc-warnings'
> option, and/or building without -Werror.  --enable-gcc-warnings and/or
> -Werror work only on reasonably-recent-and-reliable platforms.
>