Subject: bug#175: 23.0.60; VCS problem when loading

From: David Kastrup <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 19:45:45 +0200

Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Your bug report will be posted to the [email-masked] mailing list.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

This happens when loading the desktop, but is likely not related.

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size")
  find-auto-coding("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls,v" 8192)
  set-auto-coding("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls,v" 8192)
  insert-file-contents("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls,v" nil 0 8192)
  vc-insert-file("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls,v" "^[0-9]")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-fetch-master-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-checkout-model("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-rcs-state-heuristic("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  apply(vc-rcs-state-heuristic "/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-call-backend(RCS state-heuristic "/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-state("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-default-mode-line-string(RCS "/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  apply(vc-default-mode-line-string RCS "/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-call-backend(RCS mode-line-string "/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-mode-line("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  vc-find-file-hook()
  run-hooks(find-file-hook)
  after-find-file(nil t)
  find-file-noselect-1(#<buffer troeltsch.cls> "~/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls" nil nil "~/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls" (32463 65037))
  find-file-noselect("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls")
  desktop-buffer-preview("/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls" "troeltsch.cls" nil)
  #[nil "	�A��\n\f#�" [desktop-buffer-major-mode desktop-buffer-mode-handlers desktop-buffer-file-name desktop-buffer-name desktop-buffer-misc desktop-restore-file-buffer] 4]()
  desktop-create-buffer(206 "/home/dak/tex/tr/troeltsch.cls" "troeltsch.cls" latex-mode (auto-fill-mode reftex-mode) 1 (nil nil) nil nil ((indent-tabs-mode) (buffer-file-coding-system . iso-latin-1-unix)))
  eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*> nil "/home/dak/.emacs.desktop" nil t)  ; Reading at buffer position 66494
  load-with-code-conversion("/home/dak/.emacs.desktop" "/home/dak/.emacs.desktop" t t)
  load("/home/dak/.emacs.desktop" t t t)
  desktop-read()
  #[nil "ĉ	���	\"�)\n�� �ȉ�" [key command-line-args desktop-save-mode inhibit-startup-screen "--no-desktop" delete nil desktop-read t] 4]()
  run-hooks(after-init-hook)
  command-line()
  normal-top-level()

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
If you would like to further debug the crash, please read the file
/usr/local/emacs-21/share/emacs/23.0.60/etc/DEBUG for instructions.

In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.8 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.9)
 of 2008-05-01 on lola
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10400090
configured using `configure  '--prefix=/usr/local/emacs-21' '--without-toolkit-scroll-bars' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fno-crossjumping''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Debugger

Minor modes in effect:
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  minibuffer-electric-default-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  global-auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<escape> > <prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> <escape> 
< M-x r e p o <tab> r t <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Sorting environment...
Removing duplicates... done
Applying style hooks... done
Applying style hooks... done
Sorting environment...
Removing duplicates... done
Applying style hooks... done
Entering debugger...
Mark set [2 times]
Making completion list...

-- 
David Kastrup, Kriemhildstr. 15, 44793 Bochum