Subject: Re: bug#17497: 24.4.50; TTY menu glitches

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2014 11:20:59 +0300

> From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 22:22:29 -0400
> 
> >> Also, if you revert revision 117033 on emacs-24 branch (or try with a
> >> binary built before Apr 29, if you keep them), does the problem still
> >> exist?
> 
> Reverting 117033: still glitchy.

OK, one suspect down.

> OK, so in trying to do this, I have noticed it glitching when I press
> the keys at normal speed. So I presume it's not useful to send you that
> comparison after all.

No, it's not useful.  But I wonder why earlier you thought that this
didn't happen at normal speed.  Is it more rare at normal speed?

> See attached image and associated typescript.
> In this case I think I just opened the menu-bar and pressed the down
> arrow three times at normal speed.

When I replay that typescript on fencepost.gnu.org (logging into it
via PuTTY, which emulates xterm), I see no glitches at all, FWIW.

Interestingly, there's a cursor shown in the image to the left of
"Visit New File" menu item; it shouldn't be there.

Moreover, if I login to fencepost, set my terminal's height to be 24
lines, like in your screenshot, and then record the termscript with
the same 3 keystrokes as you did, I get an identical script!  So Emacs
behaves identically on these 2 systems, it's something in the terminal
emulators and/or the libraries they use that causes the differences in
behavior.

> FWIW, I could not make it happen on a RHEL 6.5 system at all.
> But on a Debian testing system, it happens with multiple terminal emulators.
> 
> (I suspect this is going to be one of those things you need to be able
> to reproduce to fix...)

Can you reproduce the problem when you log into that Debian testing
system remotely, via some xterm emulator?  If so, I'd appreciate an
SSH login to that system, and a directory with an Emacs tree to play
in.  Thanks.