Subject: Re: bug#17497: The text-mode menu looks very broken in emacs-24

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 16:33:10 +0000

Hi, Eli.

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 06:07:08PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 14:11:41 +0000 (UTC)

> > .  The menus seem to work fine, except for one glitch.  When I click the
> > (GPM) mouse on a menu, the menu drops down beginning horizontally where
> > the mouse was, rather than where the menu label was.  I.e., I see this:

> >     File Ed Edit > ns Buffers Tools Lisp-Interaction Help
> >             Undo                    C-x u
> >             Cut                     C-w
> >     ...

> > , when I would rather expect to see this:

> >     File Edit > tions Buffers Tools Lisp-Interaction Help
> >          Undo                    C-x u
> >          Cut                     C-w
> >     ....

> This is not a glitch, this is intended behavior when your text
> terminal has a mouse.  Clicking anywhere inside "Edit" will drop down
> the "Edit" menu starting at the click position.

Ah.  OK.  This seems at bit strange to me, but if it's intended
behaviour, then it's clearly not a glitch.

> Can you drop the menu with F10, try navigating through menus with
> arrow keys, both horizontal and vertical, and report whether you see
> any problems?  If you see any problems, I'd appreciate screenshots
> showing them.

I see no problems whatsoever.

> Whatever the results, I'd like you know what are your OS and terminal
> emulator, please.

Gentoo GNU/Linux, on a Linux virtual terminal (i.e. not in a terminal
emulator, not on X).

> Thanks.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).