Subject: bug#17497: 24.4.50; TTY menu glitches

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2014 23:03:08 -0400

> repeating: if the cursor-key sequence of characters is misinterpreted
> (for example due to timeouts), then fragments of the sequences will
> echo as unexpected characters.

I do not understand what that means.  By "cursor-key sequence of
characters" do you mean the escape sequence sent by the terminal to
Emacs or the cursor-motion escape sequences sent from Emacs to the
text terminal?
What timeouts are you referring to?  Are you saying that the terminal
emulator has internal timeouts?  If so, can you describe when and how
they come into play?

It seems you're saying that the escape sequences Emacs sends to the
terminal need to be within a single "packet", because if such an escape
sequence is split among several "fflush" the terminal emulator won't
wait indefinitely for the second chunk, and instead will timeout after
a fairly short wait and consider the escape sequence as "unexpected
characters".

        Stefan