Subject: Re: bug#17497: 24.4.50; TTY menu glitches

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2014 21:39:47 +0300

> Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2014 13:12:44 -0400
> From: Thomas Dickey <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> I downloaded tscript3.xz from message #50, and am cat'ing it (slowly)
> to a 24x80 xterm.  It very clearly is not repainting just changed portions.
> At the very beginning of the script, the screen updates just a couple of
> lines (old/new) as the cursor moves across menu items.  But as soon as
> the cursor goes past the menu items which are first shown, the program
> is repainting the entire menu.  Thereafter, even after it has returned
> to the original view, there are occasional repaints of the entire menu,
> as well as cursor movement to/from the "Close" entry.

I will look into this, thanks.  I think I actually force full redraws
under some conditions.  I will see if they are necessary.

But even these full repaints shouldn't be causing any artifacts as
shown in the screenshots, should they?  Emacs sometimes redraws a full
screen (e.g., when you switch a frame on a TTY), but I never heard any
complaints about the results.