Subject: bug#17488: 24.3; mail-sendmail-undelimit-header doesn't respect mail-header-separator

From: Katsumi Yamaoka <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2018 11:28:56 +0900

On Sun, 15 Apr 2018 20:09:45 +0200, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Hm...  I think `rfc822-goto-eoh' does the right thing: It doesn't care
> about `mail-header-separator', because that's a user setting for mail
> composition buffers, not something that should be consulted after making
> that buffer into an RFC2822 mail.

I see.  It got obvious that `rfc822-goto-eoh' shouldn't respect
`mail-header-separator' after having understood what
`mail-sendmail-delimit-header' does --- it looks for *eoh* using
`rfc822-goto-eoh' and then inserts `mail-header-separator'.  So,
it's a function that converts an RFC2822 mail into the one usable
in a mail composition buffer.  Although there is no program that
uses `mail-sendmail-delimit-header' in Emacs.

>> `smtpmail-send-it' and `mailclient-send-it' use it by way of
>> `mail-sendmail-undelimit-header'.  And `sendmail-send-it' uses
>> it by way of `mail-header-end'.

> So `mail-sendmail-undelimit-header' should consult that variable, I
> think, instead of using `rfc822-goto-eoh'?

I think it will work, but I changed my mind.  That is,
`rfc822-goto-eoh' should be used with an RFC2822 mail, and a mail
composing software should replace the `mail-header-separator' with
an empty line before sending a mail to the `sendmail-function',
like Gnus does.

Regards,