Subject: bug#17482: args-out-of-range when visiting foo.todo

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 12:02:51 -0400

Stephen Berman wrote:

> Perhaps it was presumptuous of me to appropriate the .todo extension for
> Todo mode.  I'm not aware of any policy about this, and I do see that a
> number of modes add an extension to auto-mode-alist unconditionally,
> while others merely suggest doing that in the user's init file.
> However, I've come up with the following fix, which keeps automatic
> recognition of Todo mode files located in `todo-directory', which is
> where all Todo mode files are stored, but allows you to create and visit
> foo.todo in the default major mode anywhere else.  If this works for you
> and it's not an unacceptable abuse of auto-mode-alist, I'll commit it to
> emacs-24.  Thanks for the report.

Thanks. I'm not sure you need to go to that trouble.
As I said, I don't feel strongly about it.
It's something I'd be happy to just change in my .emacs.
Maybe wait and see if anyone else has a strong opinion, otherwise
leave as-is.

The args-out-of-range thing was what I actually wanted to report! :)