Subject: bug#17482: args-out-of-range when visiting foo.todo

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 22:34:36 +0200

On Wed, 14 May 2014 16:01:43 -0400 Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Stephen Berman wrote:
>
>> [...] it's nice to be able to visit a todo-mode file with `find-file'
>> or from Dired and have it be in todo-mode and display properly
>
> You could use a file-local variable mode: cookie for that
> (I speak without having looked at the code at all).

Yes, that's in fact what the original todo-mode.el does, but I never
really liked it and dropped from my version it long ago, though it is a
convenient way to get that effect.  But it also counteracts Stefan's
"design goal" of being able to use standard Emacs commands on Todo
files.  Although I didn't follow this goal while reimplementing
todo-mode.el, I now think it's justified: Todo mode has its own entry
points and editing commands and there's no real need to give it a
stranglehold on Todo files.  It's conceptually similar to Gnus: you can
visit and edit a mail file as a normal text file, but in Gnus it's in a
special mode with special commands.  And the risk assessment is the
same: you can corrupt a mail file outside of Gnus if you're not careful.

Steve Berman