Subject: Re: bug#17467: 24.3; locate-library returning spurious path

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 20:32:51 -0400

Alex Kosorukoff wrote:

> I think these file names are more appropriate for data files, not
> executable ones. It is undesirable that a name "tramp.gz" will shadow a
> valid library file "tramp.elc" that won't be found as a result. When you
> say those names aren't spurious, do you have a particular  example of an
> emacs elisp library in mind which file name ends with a suffix other than
> .el .elc .el.gz .elc.gz? I think the main difference is that I assume that
> this list is exhaustive and you imply that it is not. You can prove me
> wrong by a single example.

I've somewhat lost track of exactly what you want an example of, but:

       When Gnus starts, it will read the `gnus-site-init-file'
    (`.../site-lisp/gnus-init' by default) and `gnus-init-file' (`~/.gnus'
    by default) files.  These are normal Emacs Lisp files and can be used
    to avoid cluttering your `~/.emacs' and `site-init' files with Gnus
    stuff.  Gnus will also check for files with the same names as these,
    but with `.elc' and `.el' suffixes.  In other words, if you have set
    `gnus-init-file' to `~/.gnus', it will look for `~/.gnus.elc',
    `~/.gnus.el', and finally `~/.gnus' (in this order).

and it uses locate-library to do that.