Subject: bug#17457: 24.4.50; REGRESSION: "Invalid font name: -outline-Lucida Console-normal-normal-normal-mono"

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 12:23:32 -0700 (PDT)

> > I truncated it because I am not interested in anything except the
> > first 6 fields of the XLFD string.
> 
> The right way is to replace the other fields with "*", not chop them
> off.

I almost added, and will add now, that I think perhaps the reason
I did that before passing the font arg to `font-info', was mainly to
allow handling of the problematic fonts.  I did not realize, however,
that they were anyway not being handled correctly that way.  They were
tolerated, but the returned info was not relevant.

> Yes, I think the problem is in that "-ExtB", which I think is part of
> the font name, but Emacs's XLFD parser thinks it is a separate field.
> Perhaps Handa-san, or someone else who knows more about fonts, could
> tell how to handle these font names correctly.  It looks like a bug to
> me, FWIW.

I thought of that, but I don't know how the name should be parsed,
to determine that the name field has ended.  Perhaps the following
field has only a fixed number of possibilities.  But then there is
(IIRC) the possibility that fields can be missing.  IOW, is it
perhaps problematic to parse names that contain hyphens?

I closed the bug.  If appropriate, feel free to open it based on
the possibility of a parsing problem.