Subject: bug#17437: closed (Re: bug#17437: 24.3; ispell uses typographically correct apostrophe)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2019 11:00:03 +0000

Your bug report

#17437: 24.3; ispell uses typographically correct apostrophe as word boundary

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
17437: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=17437
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#17437: 24.3; ispell uses typographically correct apostrophe
From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
To: Tobias Getzner <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2019 10:59:40 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Tobias Getzner <[email-masked]> writes:

> I have added this character to WORDCHARS in my hunspell en_US
> dictionary; hunspell now correctly recognize words using this character
> when invoking hunspell in a terminal. Sadly, it seems ispell.el sadly
> still won’t handle these, however.

I believe this has been fixed since this bug report was raised. Emacs is
now able to scan hunspell's dictionary files and make use of WORDCHARS.
I can't remember if it's fixed in Emacs 25, but it's definitely fixed in
26.

I'll close this bug report, but if you're still experiencing the problem
please reply and we can reopen it.
-- 
Alan Third

Subject: 24.3; ispell uses typographically correct apostrophe as word boundary
From: "Tobias Getzner" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 14:15:17 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When using the typographically correct apostrophe (“right single
quotation mark” U+2019), ispell will mark-up parts of words as typos.
E.g., in “doesn’t”, the part before the apostrophe will be highlighted
as a typo even if the spell-checker supports the apostrophe.

This bug occurs irrespective of the spell-checker, so I suppose that
ispell does its own tokenization and uses the apostrophe as a word
boundary. Instead, the apostrophe should correctly be treated as
word-internal punctuation and handed on to the actual spell-checker
program.

Best regards,
Tobias