Subject: RHBA-2014:0303-1 (Red Hat bug fix) breaks compilation of Emacs

From: David Crick <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2014 20:37:44 +0100

RHBA-2014:0303-1:

The previous rebase to GLib 2.26 added the GSettings API, but without the
gsettings-desktop-schemas package. As a consequence, some programs
(such as OpenJDK or VMWare) attempted to use GSettings, but since
gsettings-desktop-schemas was absent, these programs terminated unexpectedly.
This update removes GSettings from glib2, and the crashes now no longer occur.

Unfortunately this now breaks compilation of emacs from stock source
(emacs-24.3):

xsettings.o: In function `something_changed_gsettingsCB':
xsettings.c:(.text+0x33f): undefined reference to `g_settings_get_value'
xsettings.c:(.text+0x3db): undefined reference to `g_settings_get_value'
xsettings.c:(.text+0x46d): undefined reference to `g_settings_get_value'
xsettings.o: In function `init_gsettings':
xsettings.c:(.text+0x1791): undefined reference to `g_settings_list_schemas'
xsettings.c:(.text+0x17f2): undefined reference to `g_settings_new'
xsettings.c:(.text+0x187a): undefined reference to `g_settings_get_value'
xsettings.c:(.text+0x18f0): undefined reference to `g_settings_get_value'
xsettings.c:(.text+0x1966): undefined reference to `g_settings_get_value'

Rolling back to an earlier version of the glib2 RPMs results in Emacs
compiling OK again.