Subject: bug#17414: 24.3.50; eww ignores scaled text

From: [email-masked] (Óscar Fuentes)
Date: Tue, 06 May 2014 05:18:12 +0200

After visiting a web page with eww and scaling the text
(text-scale-adjust, bound to C-x +) lines wrap. This seems to indicate
that eww organizes the lines of text when it renders the page without
noticing that the buffer's default face was scaled. Reloading the page
(or visiting another page) on the same eww buffer does not change the
parameters eww uses for rendering the text, as if there was no text
scaling.

The only way I know to increase font size on eww without messing up the
page layout is to split the window side-by-side (C-x 3), visit the page
with eww, unsplit the window (C-x 0) and then increase the font size
(C-x +).

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit)
 of 2014-04-20 on qcore
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
System Description:	Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Configured using:
 `configure --without-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-x-toolkit=lucid'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  ido-vertical-mode: t
  flx-ido-mode: t
  ido-hacks-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  evil-leader-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  evil-mode: t
  evil-local-mode: t
  global-anzu-mode: t
  anzu-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
q L <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> q y , n <return> 
<return> , o <tab> <return> C-x o M-u q q y , n <return> 
q L <down> C-u 5 0 <return> <next> <prior> M-> M-< 
q C-u 1 0 0 <return> q <return> 2 0 0 <return> M-> 
M-< C-s f d a C-a <return> M-u , 1 <up> M-u <up> d 
M-< C-s t a m i f C-s C-a M-> q g <up> <return> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <return> , o <tab> <return> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> , k n <down> <return> <next> <next> 
C-+ C-x C-+ + <next> <next> <f10> <menu-bar> <Eww> 
<Reload> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> , o <down> d , o , k n N , o M-u <up> 
<up> <up> <return> , o <tab> <return> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <next> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> , k , o <prior> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> x q <f10> <menu-bar> <help-menu> <send-emacs-bug-report> 
e w w SPC i g n o r e s C-g C-h k C-x C-+ C-x 1 <f10> 
<menu-bar> <help-menu> <send-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
Opening TLS connection to `news.ycombinator.com'...done
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=7702217
Contacting host: news.ycombinator.com:443
Opening TLS connection to `news.ycombinator.com'...
Opening TLS connection with `gnutls-cli --insecure -p 443 news.ycombinator.com'...done
Opening TLS connection to `news.ycombinator.com'...done
Beginning of buffer [2 times]
Quit
Type , 1 to delete the help window.
Auto-saving...

Load-path shadows:
~/elisp/evil/lib/ert hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/ert

Features:
(shadow emacsbug find-dired smerge-mode log-view vc-annotate crm
org-capture diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-iso cus-edit cus-start cus-load
timezone url-queue nxml-uchnm rng-xsd xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml
rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util
rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-util nxml-glyph
nxml-enc xmltok ibuf-ext ibuffer pcmpl-unix vc dired-aux sh-script smie
executable tex-bar toolbar-x font-latex latexenc ox-latex ox-icalendar
ox-html ox-ascii ox-publish ox tcl imenu woman man sgml-mode conf-mode
nroff-mode tramp-cache canlock tramp-sh url-http url-gw url-cache
url-auth eww mm-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util face-remap org-clock cal-move
nnagent vc-dispatcher vc-svn cmake-mode eieio-opt speedbar sb-image
ezimage dframe calculator shr-color color shr browse-url ses unsafep
solar cal-dst gnus-fun em-unix em-term term ehelp em-script em-prompt
em-ls em-hist em-pred em-glob em-dirs em-cmpl em-basic em-banner
em-alias org-agenda org-element org-indent org-rmail org-mhe org-irc
org-info org-gnus org-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode org-bibtex
bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m flyspell dabbrev misearch multi-isearch cc-langs
cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine
cc-vars cc-defs flow-fill whitespace mm-archive mailalias ispell nnir
sort smiley gnus-cite mail-extr qp gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-ml pop3
nndraft nnmh nnml nnfolder parse-time netrc network-stream starttls tls
gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap nntp gnus-cache
gnus-sum nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source smtpmail sendmail
gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnheader
mule-util disp-table etags-select etags org-crypt preview prv-emacs
reporter desktop frameset latex tex-style tex-buf tex dbus xml lp0-mode
paren paredit-menu yasnippet psvn wid-edit pp elp vc-git org-magit rx
org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities
noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle org-src ob-ref
ob-lob ob-table ob-keys ob-exp ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat
org-macs org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
magit-key-mode magit iswitchb esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt esh-ext
esh-proc esh-arg eldoc esh-groups eshell esh-module esh-mode esh-util
ediff-merg ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-mult ediff-help ediff-init
ediff-util ediff dired-x dired view tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs
trampver shell pcomplete help-mode grep compile comint epa epg
epg-config diff-mode autorevert filenotify ansi-color git-rebase-mode
git-commit-mode server log-edit message format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util add-log
column-overflow ido-vertical-mode flx-ido warnings flx ido-hacks ido
ace-jump-mode evil-leader evil-paredit paredit evil evil-integration
undo-tree derived diff evil-maps evil-commands ffap url-parse
auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv eieio-core
gnus-util time-date mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars
evil-types evil-search evil-ex evil-macros evil-repeat evil-states
evil-core evil-common windmove rect evil-digraphs evil-vars ring edmacro
kmacro diminish anzu easy-mmode cl-macs gv thingatpt cl cl-loaddefs
cl-lib solarized-light-theme solarized-dark-theme solarized info
easymenu tex-site package advice help-fns tooltip electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)