Subject: bug#17409: 24.3; c-mode customisation

From: Chris Moller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2014 12:33:35 -0400

c-mode customisations I've been using for decades no longer work. In

particular, nothing I do in ~/.emacs will set c-cleanup-list to my

preferences, including space-before-funcall. Right after I installed a

new OS with a new version of emacs, it contained only scope-operator;

now, after a lot of tinkering, it comes up as "c-cleanup-list's value is

set-from-style". Either way, it utterly ignores the value set in

custom-set-variables, a line in

(add-hook 'c-mode-hook

(function (lambda ()

...

(add-to-list 'c-cleanup-list 'space-before-funcall

compact-empty-funcall))

and a direct

(setq c-cleanup-list (quote (brace-else-brace brace-elseif-brace 
empty-defun-braces defun-close-semi list-close-comma scope-operator 
space-before-funcall compact-empty-funcall)))

Likewise (setq c-electric-pound-behavior (quote (alignleft))) and

'(c-electric-pound-behavior (quote (alignleft))) in custom-set-variables

does nothing at all.

Any hints? Nothing I've found on the net, including the suggestion from

the cc-mode manual

;; Create my personal style.

(defconst my-c-style

...

works.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.8)

of 2014-04-18 on buildvm-19.phx2.fedoraproject.org

Windowing system distributor `Fedora Project', version 11.0.11404000

System Description: Fedora release 20 (Heisenbug)

Configured using:

`configure '--build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu'

'--host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu' '--program-prefix='

'--disable-dependency-tracking' '--prefix=/usr' '--exec-prefix=/usr'

'--bindir=/usr/bin' '--sbindir=/usr/sbin' '--sysconfdir=/etc'

'--datadir=/usr/share' '--includedir=/usr/include'

'--libdir=/usr/lib64' '--libexecdir=/usr/libexec'

'--localstatedir=/var' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib'

'--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--with-dbus'

'--with-gif' '--with-jpeg' '--with-png' '--with-rsvg' '--with-tiff'

'--with-xft' '--with-xpm' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3' '--with-gpm=no'

'build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu'

'host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g

-pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions

-fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4

-grecord-gcc-switches -m64 -mtune=generic' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro ''

Important settings:

value of $LANG: C

value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none

locale-coding-system: nil

default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Custom

Minor modes in effect:

tooltip-mode: t

mouse-wheel-mode: t

tool-bar-mode: t

menu-bar-mode: t

file-name-shadow-mode: t

global-font-lock-mode: t

font-lock-mode: t

blink-cursor-mode: t

auto-composition-mode: t

auto-encryption-mode: t

auto-compression-mode: t

column-number-mode: t

line-number-mode: t

transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:

<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>

<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>

<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>

<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <f9>

# C-x u C-x u M-x C-g C-h v c - e l <tab> p <tab> <return>

<help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-2> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1>

<mouse-1> <help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1>

<help-echo> M-x r e p o r t - e m <tab> <return>

Recent messages:

Undo! [2 times]

Quit

Type C-x 1 to delete the help window.

Creating customization items...

Creating customization items ...done

Resetting customization items...done

Creating customization setup...done

Saving file /home/moller/.emacs...

Delete excess backup versions of /home/moller/.emacs? y

Wrote /home/moller/.emacs [2 times]

Load-path shadows:

/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/maxima-modes hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/maxima/site_start.d/maxima-modes

Features:

(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message cl-macs gv format-spec

rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231

mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums

mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils cus-edit cus-start cus-load wid-edit

help-mode help-fns parse-time vc-cvs cc-langs cl cl-lib cc-mode cc-fonts

easymenu cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars

cc-defs pager paren mic-paren crypt crypt++ cycle-mini cm-ops

follow-mouse eclipseif time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks

lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt

fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register page menu-bar

rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax

facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese

tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak

czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook

jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces

cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format

env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote

make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting system-font-setting

font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)