Subject: 24.4.50; tooltips make ms-window go top

From: Jarek Czekalski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2014 15:40:41 +0200

I reproduce it on Windows 7, with today's trunk. But this is not new, I
just found a way to reproduce it, when the bucket of irritation overfilled.

1. Start "cmd"
2. From cmd do "runemacs -Q"
3. Arrange the windows so that cmd window is on top, but below is the
emacs window with toolbar visible.
4. Hover with mouse over toolbar button until tooltip appears.
5. Emacs windows goes top, covering cmd window. Cmd remains the active
app, you can type some letters to confirm that.

Expected behaviour: At 5 cmd window should stay on top, being fully
visible, not covered by Emacs window.

It's annoying when you accidentaly provoke the tooltip and bury your
application. Forgive me having Emacs always open and full screen :) It
happens with other tooltips too, for example tooltips in Occur buffer.

Fix suggestion: maybe tooltips should be supressed when Emacs is not the
active application.

In GNU Emacs 24.4.50.6 (i686-pc-mingw32)
  of 2014-05-05 on BONSOFTW7
Repository revision: 117061 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
  `configure --prefix=d:/program_files/emacs-master'

Configured features:
PNG NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: pl
   locale-coding-system: cp1250

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <help-echo> M-x
r e p o r <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message dired format-spec
rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date tooltip
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32
ls-lisp w32-common-fns disp-table w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode
register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
w32notify w32 multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 78003 7556)
  (symbols 24 17728 0)
  (miscs 20 40 148)
  (strings 16 11985 4710)
  (string-bytes 1 307839)
  (vectors 8 9308)
  (vector-slots 4 372219 4670)
  (floats 8 59 178)
  (intervals 28 228 0)
  (buffers 508 12))