Subject: Re: bug#17408: 24.4.50; tooltips make ms-window go top

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2014 17:47:02 +0300

> Date: Mon, 05 May 2014 16:19:42 +0200
> From: Jarek Czekalski <[email-masked]>
> 
> > I
> > frequently work with Emacs windows that are in the background, and
> > have "focus follows mouse" set so that I could type into such windows.
> 
> And you would miss the tooltip so much? :)

Tooltips are a legitimate part of working with a frame.  I don't think
my personal preferences count in this matter.

> > So I don't see how your suggestion could
> > be implemented in practice.
> 
> My suggestion was to check whether the window is active right before 
> displaying the tooltip. If the window is not active, the tooltip gets 
> not displayed. Maybe the tooltip should still be displayed if "focus 
> follows mouse" is set.

What does that mean in practice?  How to determine whether a window
"is active" when it accepts Windows messages?

> I don't see how this messes with your Emacs usage. Also don't know yet 
> if it's feasible. But that's just a preliminary suggestion. If it gets 
> accepted, it may be the simplest way to help the issue.

I'd have to see the details to make up my mind.