Subject: bug#17408: 24.4.50; tooltips make ms-window go top

From: Jarek Czekalski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2014 16:19:42 +0200

> I
> frequently work with Emacs windows that are in the background, and
> have "focus follows mouse" set so that I could type into such windows.

And you would miss the tooltip so much? :)

> So I don't see how your suggestion could
> be implemented in practice.

My suggestion was to check whether the window is active right before 
displaying the tooltip. If the window is not active, the tooltip gets 
not displayed. Maybe the tooltip should still be displayed if "focus 
follows mouse" is set.

I don't see how this messes with your Emacs usage. Also don't know yet 
if it's feasible. But that's just a preliminary suggestion. If it gets 
accepted, it may be the simplest way to help the issue.

However Mozilla Thunderbird tooltips do not have this side effect. And 
sometimes Mozilla is even capable of supressing the incorrect Emacs 
behaviour. And I don't see its Mozilla's "create message" window be 
affected by Emacs. Yeah, this is not quite straighforward.

Jarek