Subject: bug#17404: Scrolling is painfully slow

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2014 10:02:38 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

    I did.  I used "C-u M-x rmail RET foo2.mail RET" in "emacs -Q".  Does
    that reproduce the problem on your system?

Yes.

    What about "emacs -nw" -- do you see the same slowdown there?  Or is
    the problem limited to the GUI sessions?

I am always using it in a terminal.  It didn't occur
to me that that made a difference to the scrolling.

    > Scrolling the file in Rmail mode is much faster in that version
    > than in the current version.  So is C-n.

    How much more faster?  Can you estimate the slowdown quantitatively?

I tried it again now in several versions, and it is much faster now
than it was before.  I don't understand why the problem happened and
then disappeared, but it has.  For now, please forget it.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation
51 Franklin St
Boston MA 02110
USA
www.fsf.org  www.gnu.org
Skype: No way! That's nonfree (freedom-denying) software.
  Use Ekiga or an ordinary phone call.