Subject: 24.4.50; REGRESSION: `temp-buffer-show-hook' is no longer invoked for `describe-variable'

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 May 2014 14:32:51 -0700 (PDT)

emacs -Q

M-: (add-hook 'temp-buffer-show-hook (lambda () (debug)) 'append)

C-h v auto-mode-interpreter-regexp

The hook is never invoked.  It is invoked in all previous Emacs
releases.  Do the same thing in Emacs 24.3, for example, and you
enter the debugger.

This has an effect on my code and setup, where I have
`fit-frame-if-one-window' on the hook: buffer *Help*, alone in its
frame, must always be refit to the latest *Help* text.  This is now
broken.

In GNU Emacs 24.4.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2014-04-29 on ODIEONE
Bzr revision: 117031 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/c/Devel/emacs/snapshot/trunk
 --enable-checking=yes,glyphs 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3'
 LDFLAGS=-Lc:/Devel/emacs/lib 'CPPFLAGS=-DGC_MCHECK=1
 -Ic:/Devel/emacs/include''