Subject: Re: bug#17389: 24.4.50; REGRESSION: extraneous file locking

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2014 18:40:22 +0300

> Date: Fri, 2 May 2014 08:15:16 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> 
> With this build I am seeing file locking that prevents two Emacs
> sessions from editing the same buffer.  Emacs pops up annoying questions
> etc.

That's the intended behavior.

> Previously, it was only if you tried to save a buffer that Emacs
> let you know about possible conflicts.

That's not true, this works like that since file locking was ported to
Windows more than a year ago.  I just tried that in a very old build,
and saw exactly what you describe, as expected.

Unless you didn't describe the recipe in enough details, that is.

> In Emacs 24.3, emacs -Q:
> C-x C-f iii.el
> Type some text.  Do not save the buffer.  Do not exit Emacs.
> 
> Do the same thing again.  No problem.  Emacs does not annoy you, telling
> you in the second session that some other user/session has file iii.el
> locked.

Indeed, this is a new feature (on Windows) in Emacs 24.4.  On other
platforms, Emacs behaved like that since a very long time ago.
etc/NEWS tells how to turn this feature off, if you don't want it.