Subject: RE: bug#17388: 24.4.50; REGRESSION: Ediff - 1) wrong face, 2) incorrect diffing

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 May 2014 13:41:49 -0700 (PDT)

>>>> There should be EITHER, (a) as previously, NO fine diffs shown for
>>>> other than the current diff OR (b) CORRECT (helpful) fine diffs
>>>> shown for the non-current diffs.
>>> 
>>> Ediff's "fine diffs" are word-granular.  That is, Ediff breaks each
>>> line into "words", then passes the result to the Diff program for
>>> comparisoon, and reflects the results with different faces.  AFAIR,
>>> this has always been that way.
>> 
>> OK, so you are saying that Emacs has silently changed to (b) from (a),
>> and the way it does fine diffs corresponds to what is shown.  So be it.
> 
> Ediff never showed fine diffs for any region but the current one. 

Precisely.  To (b) from (a).  Emacs never showed fine diffs for
non-current diffs before.

It's OK with me if it does so now.  I thought that the inaccurate
fine diffs shown for this were new and particular to this non-current
diff highlighting.  I was corrected: apparently fine diffs are this
inaccurate in general.