Subject: Re: bug#17386: 24.3.90; emacs_abort in cmcheckmagic

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2014 15:09:18 +0300

> From: Nicolas Richard <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Nicolas Richard <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 02 May 2014 11:45:23 +0200
> 
> > It seems like you connected with a second emacsclient in the middle of
> > a potentially already confused session, which caused Emacs to be
> > confused about the number of rows on your terminal. (Which one is
> > true: 64 or 23?)
> 
> 63 is the exact number of lines I can put in a buffer when
> gnome-terminal is maximized on the computer where emacs is running.
> 
> If I run gnome-terminal on my laptop (from which I was ssh'ing when the
> crash happened), I count 22 lines at the default window size, and 41
> when the window is maximized (window, in the "X window" sense).

The code that crashed redraws the entire frame, not a single window
(TTY redrawing always works like that).  So the size that matters is
the size of the entire frame, including the menu bar (if present), the
mode line, and the minibuffer window/echo area, not the maximum size
you can give to your buffer windows.