Subject: bug#17368: 24.3; Inconsistent behavior of scroll-bar-mode

From: Sébastien Brisard <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 08:27:05 +0200

Hello, I wanted to customize my Emacs so as not to show scroll-bars in
any frame. Initially, I did this through custom

(custom-set-variables
 '(scroll-bar-mode nil))

and this works fine. I wanted to get rid of the custom-set-variables
section alltogether in my init.el file. According to the docstrings, the
only thing you have to do is call the function scroll-bar-mode

(scroll-bar-mode -1)

This indeed removes scroll bars in the initial frame, but *not* in
subsequent frames, which is in contradiction with the docstring. I
thought maybe this was a bug.

Best regards,
Sébastien

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601)
 of 2013-03-17 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.7) --cflags
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libiconv-1.13.1-1-dev/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libxml2-2.7.8/include/libxml2'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: FRA
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  TeX-source-correlate-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<escape> x r e o <backspace> p o r t - e m <tab> <
return>

Recent messages:
Loading c:/Users/brisard/.emacs.d/filesets-cache.el (source)...done
Loading c:/Users/brisard/.emacs.d/init-window-system.el (source)...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message cl-macs gv rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils cython-mode python rx ob-python ob-C cc-mode
cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs org byte-opt warnings bytecomp byte-compile cconv org-macro
org-footnote org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities
noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle org-src ob-ref
ob-lob ob-table ob-keys ob-exp ob-comint comint ansi-color ring ob-core
ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec find-func cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs htmlize cl reftex reftex-vars preview prv-emacs
latex easy-mmode tex-style tex-buf tex solarized-light-theme solarized
dash cython-mode-autoloads htmlize-autoloads jedi-autoloads
auto-complete-autoloads epc-autoloads ctable-autoloads
concurrent-autoloads magit-autoloads git-rebase-mode-autoloads
git-commit-mode-autoloads org-autoloads popup-autoloads finder-inf
pydoc-info-autoloads pydoc-info advice help-fns cl-lib advice-preload
info-look info python-environment-autoloads deferred-autoloads
solarized-theme-autoloads dash-autoloads zenburn-theme-autoloads package
edmacro kmacro paren hl-line filesets easymenu preview-latex tex-site
auto-loads time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
dos-w32 ls-lisp w32-common-fns disp-table w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process w32 multi-tty
emacs)