Subject: RE: bug#17362: 24.4.50; inconsistent key notation: `ESC' vs `<ESC>'

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 08:39:06 -0700 (PDT)

> > > Emacs manual: contrast node `Menu Bar' with node `Quitting'.  The former
> > > writes `ESC ESC ESC'; the latter writes `<ESC> <ESC> <ESC>'.
> > >
> > > IMO, the former is preferable.  (Note that (kbd "ESC") and (kbd "<ESC>")
> > > both act the same, however.)
> >
> > I'd also prefer "ESC" over "<ESC>" but then other strings like
> > "<TAB>", "<SPC>", "<RET>" or "<DEL>" should also be changed
> > accordingly.
> 
> Actually, the distinction should be between "ESC" (or "TAB" or "SPC")
> the key vs "ESC ESC ESC" the key sequence typed from the keyboard.  So
> not every <FOO> should suddenly become "FOO", it's a judgment call.

A difference in syntax for keyboard keys vs key sequences should not be
subject to judgment calls.  There are presumably clear-cut rules defining
the two different syntaxes.

I suppose that a particular sentence might be ambiguous as to which is
meant, but in that case perhaps the sentence needs rewording to make clear
which is meant.  In such a case, the meaning that users take from the text
(keyboard key vs key sequence) should not depend only on the syntax used.
Preferably the rest of the sentence would make clear which meaning is intended.

Anyway, feel free to make any judgments you feel appropriate wrt this
particular bug and the various occurrences in the manual (and the other
Emacs manuals).  And if you judge that there is no inconsistency
anywhere then feel free to close it.