Subject: Re: bug#17361: Tramp does not save history across sessions.

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 23:24:46 +0200

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>>>> And why not modify `set-process-sentinel'? This would be less changes in
>>>> the different packages.
>>> No, same difference: the calls need to be changed anyway.
>> Not, if we use a proper default for WHERE, the new optional arg of
>> `set-process-sentinel'.
>
> The only default that's backward compatible would be :override, which
> basically defeats the purpose.

In practice, your proposal means to throw away `set-process-sentinel'
(and `set-process-filter'). Since the default functions are already
enabled, in most cases one shall use `add-function' instead. Which is
more complicate.

Do we want such a radical change? Your wording, you have applied in
processes.texi, sounds different.

(I don't oppose completely, I just want that we understand and agree
such a change.)

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.