Subject: bug#17361: Tramp does not save history across sessions.

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 09:59:57 +0200

Daimrod <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Wouldn't it be more consistent to modify `set-process-filter' and
>> ´set-process-sentinel' to take care, when several filters or sentinels
>> are added to a given process? Both functions could be equipped with an
>> optional argument WHERE, which has the similar meaning as in
>> `add-function'. Maybe just :before, :after and :replace shall be
>> allowed, and one of them (:after?) could be the default.
>
> What about having a default sentinel/filter for all process that does
> nothing (just a placeholder)?

There are already `internal-default-process-filter' and
`internal-default-process-sentinel'. They must be replaced, of course,
when a new filter/sentinel is added.

> Then instead of using `set-process-filter' one could use
> (add-function :whatever (process-filter process) ...)

Nope. One would need to change all places those functions are called. I
believe it is simpler to modify `set-process-filter' and
`set-process-sentinel'.

Best regards, Michael.