Subject: Re: bug#17357: 24.4.50; garbage characters when pasting in an OS X terminal

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2020 14:14:12 +0200

Glyph <[email-masked]> writes:

> The problem is that I had this key-binding in some emacs-lisp code I
> wrote a while ago:
>
> (global-set-key [(meta \])] 'something)
> (global-set-key [(meta \[)] 'something-else)
>
> After removing those global key bindings, it works great.
>
> It might be worth putting some nicer error-reporting around those
> though, since M-] and M-[ are perfectly cromulent keys to want to bind
> (and I still bind them, I just have an (if (not (eq window-system
> nil))) around it now.

This was apparently not an Emacs bug, but then the discussion turned to
possibly adding a new feature that would warn the user if binding these
keys in a terminal.  I'm not sure that's really warranted -- there's a
bunch of key bindings that work under a window system that don't work in
a terminal.

It would be nice to have key bindings that work under different terminal
types (and is that what overriding-terminal-local-map kinda sorta
does?), but this would in any case be a new feature request, so I'm
closing this bug report.  (If this is something that should be worked
upon, please open a new wishlist bug report.)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no