Subject: bug#17356: 24.4.50; find-file any tramp method raises "Lisp nesting exceeds `max-lisp-eval-depth'"

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 11:03:24 +0200

Ross Patterson <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Ross,

> A few days ago, trying to visit any tramp file (`/scpx:`, `/sudo:`,
> etc.) results in "Lisp nesting exceeds `max-lisp-eval-depth'" as soon as
> I type the colon.  This happens with or without ido.
>
> In GNU Emacs 24.4.50.2 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.8.6)
>  of 2014-04-26 on radon
> Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11405000
> System Description: Ubuntu 13.10

Some days ago, the autoload behaviour of Tramp was reworked in order to
fix a recursive load bug. This was merged into the trunk on 2014-04-11
with bzr revision 116967.

You have compiled your Emacs version later, but does it include this
change? And likely, you need to bootstrap Emacs in order to get this
change.

Does this problem also happen, when you start "emacs -Q"?

Best regards, Michael.