Subject: bug#17351: closed (Re: bug#17351: Trunk emacs splats .emacs.desktop at startup)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 06:54:02 +0000

Your bug report

#17351: Trunk emacs splats .emacs.desktop at startup

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
17351: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=17351
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#17351: Trunk emacs splats .emacs.desktop at startup
From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
To: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Cc: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>, Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 09:52:12 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> I lost track of this.
> Did the "starting Emacs may delete your deskop file" aspect get fixed?
> If so, this can be downgraded to severity normal (or closed).

The fixes already installed in the emacs-24 branch were intended
to reduce the number of cases that might break the desktop file,
so I'm closing this bug report.

The remaining feature to create a backup copy is optional and could be
implemented later for the trunk in a new separate feature request.

Subject: Trunk emacs splats .emacs.desktop at startup
From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2014 18:04:27 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,  Emacs.

This is horrible.  I started a GUI emacs session, and there were errors
loading the desktop.  I loaded the file .emacs.desktop into my emacs
session to see what the problem was.  And lo and behold, that file had
already been overwritten by Emacs.  :-(

This is crazy.  What's the point of overwriting .emacs.desktop at
startup?  It's either going to be overwriting itself with a functionally
identical copy, or (as in the current case) its going to be losing
information needed for debugging.

This is surely a bug.

My trunk is at revision number 116992.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie.