Subject: Re: bug#17346: 24.4.50; Why is the goal column limited to C-n and C-p ?

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 17:34:21 +0200

Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]> writes:

> Note also that, as I said before in this thread, any command intended
> for _vertical_ motion of the cursor (scroll-up-command,
> scroll-down-command, scroll-bar-toolkit-scroll, mwheel-scroll, ...)
> should try to preserve the goal column (whether semi-permanet or
> temporary).

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately weren't resolved
at the time.)

It looks like this would be pretty easy to implement, but it would be a
behavioural change -- and the goal column is explicitly documented to
work on C-n/C-p commands, and not the other commands.

On the other hand, I think anybody's who has done a `C-x C-n' would want
<prior> and <next> to also respect the goal column, really.  So I think
I'd be in favour of just changing the behaviour here.

Does anybody else have an opinion?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no