Subject: bug#17346: 24.4.50; Why is the goal column limited to C-n and C-p ?

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2014 09:24:28 +0200

> Another issue related to the one reported originally: 'C-l'
> (recenter-top-bottom) resets the goal column.
>
> Steps to reproduce, from "emacs -Q":
>   C-p C-p C-f C-n C-p
>
> Note that the goal column (column 1) is honored by now.  Then do:
>   C-n C-l C-p
>
> Note that the goal column has been (incorrectly) forgotten after typing 'C-l'.

I changed the severity of this bug from 'whishlist' to 'normal',
because of the above-quoted issue, which is related but different from
the original one.

Context information: I hit this bug frequently, whenever I have to
edit source code in a language (Informix 4GL) for which I've not found
an Emacs mode.  So, I simply edit those files in plain text mode, and
obviously in that scenario is very important that the current column
be preserved whenever possible, because that column marks the current
level of indentation.

-- 
Dani Moncayo