Subject: bug#17346: 24.4.50; Why is the goal column limited to C-n and C-p ?

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 13:29:26 +0200

Severity: wishlist

Hello,

I've just tried to set a goal column (with "C-x C-n") and then scroll
through some buffer (which has text indented at different columns)
using the wheel of my mouse.

I expected that, while scrolling with the mouse, the cursor tried to
stay at the goal column I set.  That would have been helpful for
spotting those lines with that level of indentation.

But I've seen that the "goal column" feature seems to be limited only
to C-n and C-p (according to my test and the docstring of
"set-goal-column").

I think that it would make sense to extend this feature to other
vertical-scrolling commands like C-v, M-v, scroll-bar-toolkit-scroll
or mwheel-scroll.

In GNU Emacs 24.4.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2014-04-21 on LEG570
Repository revision: 117001 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --enable-checking 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3' CPPFLAGS=-DGLYPH_DEBUG=1'

-- 
Dani Moncayo